We've pushed visual, audio, and ergonomic technologies to create the best-in-class VR experience.
Visual clarity isn’t just about panel resolution. Multiple attributes contribute to how clearly and comfortably you see details in VR.
This product comes with a digital download code for Half Life: Alyx.
- Optimised pixel layout: The headset's dual 1440x1600 RGB LCDs provide 50% more subpixels than OLED, resulting in greater sharpness for the same rendering cost. In addition, the fill-factor is three times better than OLED, greatly reducing “screen door” effect.
- Higher frame rates: The Valve Index® Headset runs at 120Hz with full back-compatibility to 90Hz, as well as an experimental 144Hz mode. Higher framerates improve realism and optical comfort, allowing longer and more comfortable play sessions.
- Extremely low persistence: Valve Index displays have a reduced illumination period of 0.330ms to 0.530ms (framerate dependent), allowing imagery to remain just as sharp when your head is in motion as when you're standing still. This is a 5x improvement over first-generation PC VR HMDs.
- Optimised for FOV: The best way to improve field of view is to position the optics as close as possible to the eyes. Physically adjustable IPD (distance between eyes) and eye relief (distance from lens to eye) lets you optimize the field of view for your face. With these features, as well as the dual-element lens and canted optics, this headset provides 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive for typical users.
- Dual-elements lens: The custom lenses built into the Valve Index Headset maximize field of view without sacrificing edge-to-edge clarity. High geometric stability allows you to look around the scene by moving your eyes (not just your head) with minimal shape distortion.
- Canted optics: Instead of a mount perpendicular to the user’s eyes, the headset’s displays cant outward by 5 degrees. This improves outer FOV while balancing the inner FOV.
- Off-ear immersion: Designed to provide a more natural way to experience audio, Index Speakers do not touch the ears, allowing sound to freely flow and interact with the geometry of your own head and ears. With this earspeaker design, audio feels greatly externalized - virtual sound sources appear to come from the environment around you, rather than from inside your head.
- Long-session comfort: No physical contact means cooler temperatures and a huge improvement in comfort, no matter how long you play. Each speaker's position is also adjustable and can be moved to the audio sweet-spot for all heads.
- Ultra-nearfield flat panel speakers: The composite honeycomb-panel speaker drivers in the Valve Index provide their full-frequency range across a nearly 180-degree dispersion pattern. This allows us to accommodate the widest possible diversity of ear and head shapes without sacrificing sound quality.
- Antimicrobial fabrics: The soft surfaces that touch your head and face are made with high-quality, woven antimicrobial fabric, which is soft on the skin and easy to clean. Ergonomically designed padding means pressure is evenly and comfortably distributed.
- Adjustments for every head: You can adjust Valve Index for your head size, face angle, and ear position. Then fine-tune your visual experience with IPD and eye relief adjustments.
- Cameras: The Valve Index HMD includes stereo, global-shutter RGB cameras made for computer vision, enabling applications like high-quality stereo pass-through. We are excited to see what the computer vision community creates.
- Displays: Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)
- Framerate: 80/90/120/144Hz
- Optics: Double element, canted lens design
- Field of View: Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive
- Inter-pupillary distance: 58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment
- Ergonomic adjustments: Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.
- Audio: Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.
- Connections: Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.
- Tracking: SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations
- Cameras: Stereo 960 x 960 pixel, global shutter, RGB (Bayer)
- Microphone: Dual Microphone Array, Frequency response: 20Hz – 24kHz, Sensitivity: -25dBFS/Pa @ 1kHz
*If you are unhappy with your headset purchase there is a 14 day money-back guarantee. Terms and Conditions Apply.
For more information, please visit the websites below:
- Set Up Guide - //steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1059530/manuals/KitQSG_EN.pdf?t=1556842911
- Legal Manual - //steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/store/valve_index/ValveIndexSafetyAndMaintenanceInfo.pdf
- Refund Policy - //store.steampowered.com/hardware_order_terms